Sponsor Expectations and Responsibilities
Thank you so much for your interest in sponsoring a pupil from our program. We hope that this provides you an opportunity to feel directly connected to the young one whose life you are profoundly changing. Following are a few clarifications to help you understand what the sponsor-grantee relationship may look like, should you choose to engage with the pupil who you are sponsoring.
- You may expect to hear from your sponsored pupil at least once-per-year via scanned letter. The same letter and a photo of the pupil will also be sent to you via post.
- Should you choose to engage further with your pupil, you are welcome, and they would absolutely love to hear from you via a letter or email to learn more about your family and life. Some pupils and their sponsors exchange multiple letters throughout the year.
- Sharing letters provides an opportunity for cultural exchange and relationship building, but you should feel no pressure to write back. You are already helping so much!
- Some sponsors also choose to share gifts (school supplies are great gifts) with the pupils they are helping. These gifts are welcome, and can be shipped to Kasama via Ishop or, in some cases, sent with staff when they visit the US.
- We are happy for you to be in touch with your pupil through more contemporary means should that pupil have access to a smartphone or email. We do ask that conversations regarding money be left out of this communication. Pupils should not ask you for additional funds, as your generous giving takes care of their school and even some of their personal needs. Offering extra money to the young one who you are sponsoring creates disequilibrium among sponsored pupils.
- If you have any further questions, or if you fail to receive a letter from the pupil you are sponsoring, please do not hesitate to contact the director, Claire: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are still considering sponsorship, please feel free to sign up now